Publicist – Fine Arts Museums of San Francisco
The Fine Arts Museums of San Francisco are comprised of two iconic sites located within San Francisco’s beautiful parks—the de Young Museum in Golden Gate Park and the Legion of Honor Museum in Lincoln Park. As the largest public arts institution in the western United States, the Museums house a world-class collection of 151,000 artworks that span more than 5,000 years; present an ambitious schedule of more than 10 exhibitions per year; welcome 1.5 million visitors in a typical year; and are supported by 100,000 member households across the Bay Area and beyond—one of the largest art museum memberships in the United States.
To redefine the Fine Arts Museums as a forum that stimulates community and visitor conversations and explorations by applying inclusive and equitable perspectives to our collections and the histories they embody, and to support our staff to realize their potential in an inclusive and equitable workplace.
Values we Aspire to:
Diverse, Inclusive, Equitable, Accessible, Welcoming, Engaging, Insightful, Inspiring, Reliable, Creative, Generous, Fun
About the role:
Reporting to the Director of Communications, the Publicist develops, executes, and evaluates creative media campaigns to increase awareness of FAMSF to local and national media. This position will build on the existing brand sentiment to continue to build a positive image of the de Young and Legion of Honor Museums in both local and national media.
What you’ll do:
- Plans and implements creative outreach strategies to secure positive coverage for FAMSF’s exhibitions, programs, and events in key local and national outlets.
- Cultivates strong relationships with key local and national media outlets.
- Composes press materials for upcoming initiatives and exhibitions including press releases, positioning documents, talking points, tough FAQs, media alerts, fact sheets, etc.
- Manages media targeting for, and coordinates all distributions sent from the press office in close collaboration with the Digital Marketing team.
- Responsible for oversight of, and upkeep of the press database.
- Provides analysis of media campaigns and in collaboration with the Communications Director; makes strategic recommendations on overall strategy, suggesting pivots as needed.
- Coordinates and staffs media visits, photo and video shoots, interviews with curators, and other key staff.
- Coordinates incoming media inquiriesOversees media events and press previews with assistance of MarCommVX Coordinator; directs subordinate staff managing these events.
- Provides guidance and training to staff who are selected to represent the museums in an external, media focused capacity.
- Represents FAMSF at internal and external functions and events as needed. Acts as key museum spokesperson.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
What you’ll bring:
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited university in journalism, communications, public relations, art history, or a closely related field.
- Four years progressively responsible experience in the public relations field.
- Demonstrated track record of leading successful public relations campaigns.
- Ability to forge and maintain strong relationships with local and national writers.
- Excellent motivational, collaborative, strategic planning, project management skills.
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Ability to work in a demanding team environment.
- Discretion to handle confidential information.
- Ability to seamlessly juggle changing circumstances and competing priorities.
- Absolute attention to detail.
- Ability to travel and work some nights and weekends.
- Deep understanding and continued interest in the art world and media landscape.
- Exceptional storytelling skills.
Step 1 of the pay range is $31.56 per hour.
This Union position is full-time, 40 hours a week, and has a full benefits package including medical, dental, vision and 401(k), and paid time off.
Application Deadline: Thursday, October 28, 2021
If you require an alternative method of completing this application please contact email@example.com.
COFAM is the Corporation of Fine Arts Museums and is the privately funded non-profit corporation which supports the Fine Arts Museums of San Francisco, a department of the City and County of San Francisco.
COFAM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and is committed to a policy of nondiscrimination in all phases of employment in accordance with all federal, state, and local laws. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.