Under supervision of the Curator and Head of Photography, the Associate Curator assists in developing and maintaining the Department’s exhibitions and collections programs. This position will originate special exhibitions, supervise the presentation of borrowed exhibitions, and organize rotations from the permanent collection, as directed. Current acquisition initiatives aim at better representation for BIPOC, women, and LGBTQ artists in the collection, and this position plays a key role in achieving those goals, working closely with the Curator and Head of Photography to identify works for acquisition. The Associate Curator is an important spokesperson for the Museum in local, national, and international forums and to museum supporters.
Responsibilities & Duties
- Contributes to the development, exhibition and care of the Photography collection.
- Works with the Curator and Head of Photography to further develop the depth, quality, and diversity of the collection through purchase and gift.
- Originates and directs both special exhibitions and collection-based projects and accompanying publications, where relevant, at a level commensurate with the highest professional standards; proposes and oversees the presentation of borrowed exhibitions.
- Assists in aligning the program with SFMOMA’s commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion.
- Works collaboratively with SFMOMA’s other collecting departments, as well as the divisions of Collections, Exhibitions, and Design; Education and Community Engagement; and other departments to further the programmatic goals of SFMOMA.
- Develops effective interpretive programming for the public onsite and online on the collections and on special exhibitions, including publications, lectures, and digital content, working collaboratively with departments within the Community Engagement division.
- Develops and maintains advantageous relationships with the community of artists, critics, dealers, museum colleagues, professional organizations, collectors, trustees and friends of the Museum; encourages the development of private collections that have a chance of eventually enhancing the museum’s holdings; provides professional counsel and leadership to museum art interest groups.
- Works closely with departments of Philanthropy and Marketing & Communications to assist with fundraising, public relations, and marketing efforts to support and promote departmental and Museum activities.
- Continues professional development (research, publications, lectures, juries, portfolio reviews), and contributes to high quality original research.
Qualifications & Skills
- Education & Training
- Advanced degree in art history (Ph.D. with a focus on the history of photography preferred)
- Work Experience
- 4-6 years curatorial experience
- Desired Skills & Abilities
- Excellent written communication and public speaking skills.
- Strong organizational and time management skills.
- Careful attention to detail.
- Capacity to meet deadlines with minimal supervision.
- Strong research skills.
- Demonstrated ability to problem solve, work collaboratively, and maintain a professional demeanor.
- Demonstrated creativity and ability to maximize resources.
- Expertise in photography from Asia, Latin America, or Africa preferred
For more information and to apply, click here: https://jobs.lever.co/sfmoma/dfc32d1d-f74d-4dcb-8d7f-6bef0045b9d0